When you are away from home, living with a locally based family is a great way to settle in, feel at home, make new friends and experience New Zealand student life to the full. The homestay accommodation offers a supportive family environment.
All International students live with a Long Bay College approved homestay family unless living with their natural parents or a member of their family (a designated caregiver). Students are not allowed to live independently. All families are checked by our Homestay Coordinator before hosting a student, and careful monitoring is undertaken throughout each student’s stay. All students have their own bedroom and are expected to live as a part of the family.
Looking after the wellbeing of a student is a high priority. Our Homestay Coordinator is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 3pm for all Homestay issues.
We are delighted to announce that our new Boarding House will be on the campus of Massey University, close to Albany shopping mall and bus station.
We are working in partnership with Massey University to offer the best care, support, accommodation, meals and activities for our International students.
Students will enjoy a very special kiwi Christmas and summer holiday with their friends, with all the care of dedicated Long Bay College staff and the amazing facilities of Massey University.
Limited spaces available – please enquire fast if you have students who would like to join us!
- Exceptional culture of care in our inclusive family atmosphere
- Beautiful, safe location about 20 minutes from school
- 5-star university accommodation
- School managed with friendly, caring duty staff 24/7
- Many organised activities and team games on offer – lots of fun and interaction
- High quality food, 3 meals a day included
- Leadership opportunities and community service
- Students engaged and actively involved
- Support provided for students to become more independent
- Additional tuition available on request
Request more information today: [email protected]
THE LONG BAY LOCAL AREA
- We are around 25 minutes’ drive from Auckland CBD and 45 minutes from Auckland Airport.
- It is a quiet family residential area with beautiful parks and beaches close by. There are bus and train services to the city centre, to local shops and restaurants, and to the popular, modern Albany shopping mall (with an international food court and cinema). You can use your student ID to get reduced bus fares.
- If you need to get a bus to school, your homestay will help you with this on the first day.
- The area in and around Long Bay is an area of choice; people of many different nationalities live locally.
- There are local libraries in nearby Browns Bay and Albany. Massey University library is also open to all students.
- Weather here is usually moderate. There are few extremes of hot and cold, but it can be very changeable. In summer it can get to 27C (December – March), and in winter (July – August) it can be quite wet with average temperatures around 12C. New Zealanders tend to prefer to put on an extra layer of warm clothes in winter, rather than use heating – so bring warm clothes for winter, in case you find our houses cold.
GENERAL POINTS TO REMEMBER IN NEW ZEALAND
- In New Zealand, it is illegal to smoke or buy cigarettes under the age of 18 years. You cannot smoke in any enclosed public place.
- In New Zealand, it is illegal to drink alcohol under 18 years.
- In NZ the emergency telephone number for ambulance, police or fire is 111.
- If you need to see a doctor, you must pay. You can claim the cost back on your insurance. We can usually help you make the claims.
- We do not allow any of our Long Bay College International Students to drive or ride a motor vehicle whilst in New Zealand. This includes learning to drive.
- For Emergencies out of school hours, please phone 0800 528 437. During school hours, you can also contact Jayne Jones (Deputy Principal International) on 027 473 2555.